Lorimer - The night my Leeds gave Barcelona a beating

A place to talk about all things Leeds United and any random bollocks

Moderator: Belwhites

Lorimer - The night my Leeds gave Barcelona a beating

Postby leedshippriest on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Peter Lorimer tells Sportsmail's John Edwards about the April night in 1975 when his Leeds side went to the Nou Camp and stunned Barcelona in a European Cup semi-final, drawing 1-1 to reach the final.

It was fully 37 years ago, but it remains a vivid memory to this day.
We were seven minutes into our European Cup semi-final return meeting with Barcelona when keeper David Stewart hoisted a clearance deep into the opposition half.

As the ball dropped, big Joe Jordan rose high above his marker and flicked it into my path, 20 yards or so from goal on the right-hand side. A couple of paces and bang. I just let one go and what a feeling to see it fly into the top corner.

It was a huge relief, as well, because it meant we had an all-important away goal. Barcelona had to score twice, just to take it to extra time, and that wasn't going to happen. No-one got two goals back on Leeds United in those days.

They got one and applied a bit of pressure near the end, but even that was only because we gave them a helping hand by losing Gordon McQueen to a straight red card. Had Gordon stayed on, we would have won on the night, just as we had at Elland Road, but we'd still done enough to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Scoring twice is the minimum requirement for Barcelona at the Nou Camp tonight and there is no reason why Chelsea cannot prove just as much a thorn in their side as we were back in 1975, provided they adopt the same strong-minded, positive approach.

Read more http://www.lufcchat.com/legends-on-leeds/lorimer-on-leeds
We're not Galatasaray We're Leeds United F.C
http://leechapmanssofa.wordpress.com/category/leeds-hippriest/
leedshippriest
LUFC Dissident

Re: Lorimer - The night my Leeds gave Barcelona a beating

Postby southstandboy on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 am

Old mate of mine went over there he said coppers were absaloute bastards with the leeds fans
Taking flags an scarves of em.
southstandboy
LUFC CASUAL LOCATION:BARNSLEY
Reserve Team

Re: Lorimer - The night my Leeds gave Barcelona a beating

Postby sham75 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:52 pm

leedshippriest wrote:Peter Lorimer tells Sportsmail's John Edwards about the April night in 1975 when his Leeds side went to the Nou Camp and stunned Barcelona in a European Cup semi-final, drawing 1-1 to reach the final.

It was fully 37 years ago, but it remains a vivid memory to this day.
We were seven minutes into our European Cup semi-final return meeting with Barcelona when keeper David Stewart hoisted a clearance deep into the opposition half.

As the ball dropped, big Joe Jordan rose high above his marker and flicked it into my path, 20 yards or so from goal on the right-hand side. A couple of paces and bang. I just let one go and what a feeling to see it fly into the top corner.

It was a huge relief, as well, because it meant we had an all-important away goal. Barcelona had to score twice, just to take it to extra time, and that wasn't going to happen. No-one got two goals back on Leeds United in those days.

They got one and applied a bit of pressure near the end, but even that was only because we gave them a helping hand by losing Gordon McQueen to a straight red card. Had Gordon stayed on, we would have won on the night, just as we had at Elland Road, but we'd still done enough to go through 3-2 on aggregate.

Scoring twice is the minimum requirement for Barcelona at the Nou Camp tonight and there is no reason why Chelsea cannot prove just as much a thorn in their side as we were back in 1975, provided they adopt the same strong-minded, positive approach.

Read more http://www.lufcchat.com/legends-on-leeds/lorimer-on-leeds

"Ninety Lies an hour"
sham75
First Team

Highscores: 8

Return to Ups N Downs