Chris Kamara: Leeds United can pull off shock

A place to talk about all things Leeds United and any random bollocks

Moderator: Belwhites

Chris Kamara: Leeds United can pull off shock

Postby leedshippriest on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm

By Phil Hay
Published on Tuesday 14 August 2012

The forthcoming campaign cannot come soon enough for football pundit Chris Kamara who got a flavour of what’s to come on Saturday as ambassador for the Capital One Cup.

His former side Leeds successfully steered past Shrewsbury Town but it is with another cup that Kamara can see the Whites landing – the Championship trophy and promotion to the Premier League.

Kamara, who helped Leeds to the second division title back in 1990, is counting down the days until the Football League season starts this weekend with the 54-year-old set to light up our TV sets with his colourful punditry for Sky Sports.

Visits to Elland Road will be frequent and the ground is one that Kamara expects to see buzzing this coming season under Neil Warnock.

With a proposed takeover looking to have collapsed and Robert Snodgrass having departed to Norwich City, Leeds are only sixth-favourites to win the division in most bookmakers’ lists and as big as 14-1 behind Bolton, Leicester, Wolves, Cardiff and Blackburn.

However, there are no negatives from Kamara who can see similarities between this season’s new-look Leeds side under Warnock and the same manager’s Queens Park Rangers team that stormed the second tier back in 2010-11.

Sizing up his prediction for how the Whites might fare this season, Kamara told the YEP: “I think they might be the surprise team, they really might.

“When you look at them on paper you probably think they have got no chance but everybody thought that about Queens Park Rangers two seasons back and Warnock had it virtually won by Christmas.

“They had a little bit of a dip in form but nothing drastic and they stayed top of the table for most of the season. They are going to be hard to beat and one thing that seems to have been missing at Elland Road for a while is making it a fortress. That’s what he’ll aim to do and he’ll try and have it so that teams go there and get nothing.

“I think they are going to have a really good season and you expect them to do well. Warnock doesn’t like to settle for second best and I’m not sure he will.”

Nor does Kamara feel that this summer’s takeover shenanigans will have any effect on Leeds United’s manager at all.

Talk of investment from the Far East has rumbled since June but Kamara has been impressed with the way that Warnock has maintained his business as usual approach, with the former midfielder believing that goalkeeper Paddy Kenny will prove a particularly excellent acquisition.

The football pundit also believes the sale of Snodgrass was a clear sign that a takeover was never going to happen.

“I never really believe in takeovers where Ken Bates is concerned,” said Kamara.

“He got out of Chelsea in good circumstances and he’s always told me that they were never going to go to the wall in the first place.

“When people suggested that if Roman Abramovic hadn’t have put his money in that they would have ended up going bankrupt he said it was absolute nonsense and I believe him.

“Now when I see him I just know it would be hard for Ken Bates not to be associated with football and unless someone comes along with a ridiculous amount of money then I really can’t see it happening.

“Otherwise why allow Neil Warnock to sell Snodgrass and bring in loans of free transfers if someone is going to come in with loads and loads of money?

“The one man that is not unsettled by all this is Neil Warnock and that’s what you have got to think about.

“The fans may be unsettled as they hear that someone is going to come in with money to spend but I think the only person who isn’t really bothered about the takeover is Neil Warnock because he does what he does best.

“We all know about Neil Warnock and what he does and you just look at the players that he has brought in already.

“He brings in players on free transfers, he sells the likes of Snodgrass and it gives him the opportunity to say ‘well look, I am six million pounds in profit, look what I’ve brought in for virtually nothing and just watch us go.’

“He’s very good at building teams, he knows what’s required and he’s made some great signings and one of the best ones is the goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, because he keeps clean sheets.

“He’s not flamboyant, he doesn’t catch the eye all the time but he keeps clean sheets and he is a great signing for him.

“The rest of the players that have come in on frees and are all players that you know are desperate to do well and will be modelled into the Warnock way.”

It is a way that impresses Kamara who deeply wishes that the side he spent 21 months with between January 1990 and November 1991 can finally return to the top flight next term. Middlesbrough-born Kamara feels the Whites belong in the Premier League but knows only hard graft and a significantly better home record than last season will get them there.

Leeds lost 11 games at Elland Road last season and Kamara knows that simply will not do.

“With the fantastic away support they have got, Leeds are always going to pick up points away from home,” said Kamara.

“If they had won more games at home last season then they wouldn’t have finished where they did and that’s what cost Simon Grayson his job – the home form.”

Grayson is now back spearheading Huddersfield Town’s campaign and it is the Terriers who will begin the new Championship season with Friday evening’s trip to Cardiff City.

Saturday lunchtime brings United’s opener at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers and with the appetite whetted by Saturday’s Cup action, Kamara cannot wait for the beautiful game to be back up and running.

“It’s been a long time since any domestic football was played – back in April – and it’s great the Capital One Cup got first dibs at the football on Saturday,” he said. “They can make a name for themselves.

“Now we just want to get the league action back as soon as possible and it’s back this Saturday which is amazing.

“Obviously I’m on Twitter and there has been so many fans saying that we need football back.

“They have been saying that they don’t know what to do with themselves on a Saturday afternoon!”

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news/chris-kamara-leeds-united-can-pull-off-shock-1-4831136
We're not Galatasaray We're Leeds United F.C
http://leechapmanssofa.wordpress.com/category/leeds-hippriest/
leedshippriest
LUFC Dissident

Return to Ups N Downs