Peaked (a long read)

A place to talk about all things Leeds United and any random bollocks

Moderator: Belwhites

Peaked (a long read)

Postby sham75 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 pm

26 miles up and down three mountains in the Lakes, THE THREE PEAKS!!!

Saturday April 14th and the day had arrived, I'd put myself forward for a charity walk in aid of raising some money to help a young girl who i had no connections with get some treatment in America.

It's pretty much all i knew other than her dad was a hardened udders fan who love's to hate everything that is Leeds United.

Now! I'm going to be honest with you,I don't do the charity thing on the whole,Comic relief, Oxfam and all that or any of these similar organisations that feel the need to have executives,directors on massive salaries, I believe that every penny should go to those in need and every thing else should be free, rightly or wrongly.

5.00 am and i was off to the meeting point at my mates in Brighouse prior to setting off up to Horton in Ribblesdale to start the big one.
We'd agreed to start walking at 7.30am to make sure that we'd got done before it became dark, sure enough there were some tired looking faces when we all arrived at that car park at Horton but it wasn't long before we'd got our boots laced, ruck sacks on and started heading for the first of the little fellas, PENNY-GHENT.

I'd done this walk before some years ago and knew that this was where you got your breathing sorted out, got a bit of heat in to your body and prepared yourself for the journey ahead but I'd forgotten just how much it get's the old pulse racing and questioned whether I was as prepared as I should of been.

We all grouped at the top and slapped a hand on the trig point to confirm that we'd done it when one of the lads shouted "Right, it's 11 mile to the next peak, let's go".
Off we went down the mountain for the long pull across to Whernside,the second of the big hills.
Everyone was chirpy and chatting away, me, Fred, Titch and Andy reminiscing about our days following Leeds back in the 80's and the state of things today with all of us in agreement that the football thing was shite in comparison these days.

Time for some food and a good drink of water as we pulled up with about 5 miles to go before we hit the second peak.

All those who hadn't done it before were keen at this point to know how hard the climb up the next mountain was but all were reassured that it wasn't anywhere near as hard as the last one "jeez" I had to look away at this point for fear of giving it away.

A fairly flat walk across fields,marsh land and gravel paths led us to the road that takes you down to the famous railway arches that are often related to the Settle to Carlisle train journey and by now my feet were a bit sore with walking on the hard tarmac for about a mile and a half.

Another quick slurp of water and before I knew it we were off again,up the cobbled path and into the first part of what I class as the hard stuff.
We all grouped again at the split where you cut across and start climbing up the steep part of WHERNSIDE as the groans started and claims of lies showered down on those who had said it was easier than the last hill.

We moved on again and reached the top of the second mountain after a walk from the split where most were stopping for regular breaks and letting people past, the group was getting separated and the pace had dropped dramatically, moans and groans from most were now the theme of conversation as we looked across at INGLEBOROUGH, by far the hardest and steepest of the three and it looked miles away.

Down we went on a steep route off WHERNSIDE where you get the feeling that your toes are trying to get through the front of your boots and your skin is too tight around your leg muscles not to mention the fear of tripping and falling hard onto sharp rocks as one or two nearly did.
We eventually got the bottom and again stopped for some food and a much needed drink when I noticed one of the couples were having a private chat away from the group.
It turned out that one of the lads wife's was in absolute agony to the point where she was in tears due to blisters on her feet and pain she had in her legs.
A change of socks and some group reassurance saw us all set off again to do the last of these mother of all hills.

About two and a half miles across to IMGLEBOROUGH on relatively flat ground apart from a section that my mate calls "the boards from hell", basically it's about a mile of stone flags that go up and down on route to the bottom of the mountain, "nasty"

Everybody grouped again after a short wait before we started up the steepest bit of the trip by far, "no way" some said as others set off to basically rock climb to the top of our last challenge. I was about third to the top and looked down at the sheer drop that the rest were climbing up realising that a fall would cause serious injury without doubt.
We all got up safely and made our way to the trig point, shattered to point where you just want your bed or the comforts of home,"just get me out of here".

A quick photo with the banner and away down off the mountain we went, back to the cars, not long now!
It was long though, I'd again forgot how far it was from here as my legs felt like jelly and my enthusiasm was draining away rapidly,"is someone laying paths in front of us" I asked, but everybody felt the same and I wasn't on my own, this was grueling now and I wanted to get it over with sharpish, I'd had enough.

Finally, we got to the finish, a quick pint and back home, stiff as a board and nobody saying much on the way back, just knackered, totally knackered.

Got home, had a about three mouthful's of mi takeaway and went to bed, woke up this morning moaning and groaning feeling sorry for myself and going through the walk all over again in my head thinking why do I do this sort of stuff when I end up in this state and then I sat up in my comfy bed and thought for a moment.

We did this walk for BAILEY COPPACK, a twelve year old girl who desperately needs proton therapy in America and how does she feel today and how will she feel next week when I'm fit and carrying on as normal, what lies ahead for this little girl, somebody's daughter, somebody's sister and so on, "get a grip" i told myself and got up and dressed on that that thought,bollocks to my aches and pains that will go away,bollocks to all the menial things I moan about like Ken Bates and people that piss me off,the car got bumped the other week,"So what"

Would I do it all again? "Yes"

Get well soon Bailey!
sham75
First Team

Highscores: 8

Re: Peaked (a long read)

Postby Lufc_Commando on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:35 pm

Ha thats a good effort at your age sham your half dead haha
Good to do things like that though sham to help some one you dont really know and theres some great kids out there that dont get the childhood we were all used to, there proper little troopers.
Lufc_Commando
Trialist

Postby benss on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 am

Top effort Sham, well done to all that did the challenge.
benss
Reserve Team

Postby spawhite on Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:15 pm

Well done Sham,great job.
You`ve inspired me to do a fund raising walk. Thinking of doing either a coast to coast (west to east) or the pennine way.
spawhite
100% Leodian
First Team

Postby Lufc76Cor on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Well done Sham, that was some effort mate
Lufc76Cor
Exi's Grandson

Highscores: 2

Postby Gelderdbootboy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Top bloke well done mate :D

I bought some new trainers last week and got a blister at the gym and I was in agony with it - Well done to the lass that changed her socks and marched on 8-)
Gelderdbootboy
First Team Coach
LUFC Moron

Highscores: 4

Postby sham75 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:13 pm

Lads, thanks for your kind words it's like a trophy for doing it ;)

Spa, if you do fancy doing the coast to coast at some point let me know, that's probably the one walk I want to do before I pack it in mate and there's a few mates that fancy it too.

it's a big,big walk as you know involving stopping over at B&B's and having to drink the horrible local beers and that over 3 or 4 days I reckon :D
sham75
First Team

Highscores: 8

Postby spawhite on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:01 pm

I`m up for that Sham. We`ll have to get together to see if we can plan it. I think Thorn might be interested too,we have talked about doing a walk for charity to raise money for Ants Fund (to help families with a disabled members get independent advice on services and funding and to run projects for young adults with disabilities). We were talking about doing the national 3 peaks walk (GBB offered to be our support driver,I remember GBB :) ),but the coast to coast walk intrigues me more, as does the 200+ miles of the pennine way. I have some ideas in regards accommodation that might be more flexible and I would like to add some kind of edge to the walk,make it more interesting for sponsors.
spawhite
100% Leodian
First Team

Postby Belwhites on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Well done Sham
Put your self through the mill mate
I ran one mile for sports relief and was fucked :lol:
Belwhites
millionaire

Return to Ups N Downs