Extracts from the book Bremner: The Real King Billy

Extracts from the book Bremner: The Real King Billy

Postby leedshippriest on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:17 pm

DON REVIE’S Leeds United had been back in the top-flight for three years but a first major trophy was proving elusive.

Runners-up twice in the league, Leeds had also tasted defeat in the finals of both the FA Cup and Inter-Cities Fairs Cup. Despite the growing sense of frustration felt by Revie and his players, however, Elland Road was still a fun place to be.

The dressing room, where many of its members had grown up together, was a strong one, thanks in no small part to the careful guiding hand of its father figure, Revie. The banter between team-mates, the one element that all retired former players miss once their careers are over, could be ferocious.

Practical jokes were also a permanent part of life at Elland Road, with Billy Bremner, as captain, often the leading protagonist. Eddie Gray recalls: “Billy was always up to something, a real character. No-one was safe from one of his wind-ups.

“One of his favourites was when we went over to Sheila’s Café for lunch after training. It was just over the road from the ground and owned by Terry Yorath’s in-laws.

“We had a ritual where we would toss a coin to decide who paid the bill for everyone’s lunch. If, say, 12 of us had gone across and eight called ‘heads’, then the four who said ‘tails’ would have to pay.

“Billy was not a big one for lunch and would usually just have a cup of tea and a Kit-Kat. But if a couple of the lads who were a bit tight ended up having called incorrectly, he would have the works.

“A full three-course lunch would be ordered and then he would also take a few Kit-Kats home for the kids. Often, he would leave the lunch untouched – and then get up to go home with a big smile on his face.”

Read on http://www.lufcchat.com/leeds-united-history/a-joker-a-genius-and-a-man-for-all-football-seasons
We're not Galatasaray We're Leeds United F.C
http://leechapmanssofa.wordpress.com/category/leeds-hippriest/
leedshippriest
LUFC Dissident

Re: Extracts from the book Bremner: The Real King Billy

Postby Lufc76Cor on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:27 am

That alone has sold the book to me ;)
Lufc76Cor
Exi's Grandson

Highscores: 2

Postby Gelderdbootboy on Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:32 am

Good read that Priest
I'm glad it includes is managerial side and not just the highs of the Revie side
I think it might be on my Xmas list then again I might wait and get it in the sales :lol:
Gelderdbootboy
First Team Coach
LUFC Moron

Highscores: 4

Postby Lufc76Cor on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Ebay so ;)

Last bumped by leedshippriest on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:32 pm.
Lufc76Cor
Exi's Grandson

Highscores: 2

Return to Leeds United History